Saturday, October 20, 2012

A weekend with Dad and globalized love


Last weekend I enjoyed a wonderful visit from my Dad.  After business meetings in Berlin and Amsterdam he was able to set aside time to spend with me before his meeting in Helsinki. He arrived in Ilmajoki on Friday for a tour of campus and the town.  I introduced him to a couple teachers and pointed out out him some of the machines I learned to operate at school.  After showing him around where I’ve been living we went to Seinäjoki for a wonderful lunch and a walking tour of the Alvar Alto district.

The next morning we got on a train for Helsinki with Valerie for a short stay in the capital. We spent the day walking around town; the cathedral and city hall were must-sees.  The open-air market around the harbor was packed with all kinds of grilled fish, fresh produce, homemade crafts and more.

After taking a little break at the hotel we went out for a delicious Japanese dinner and got some good tips from the bartender about what is fun to do at night. We took his advice and went to a few bars, each with its own distinct vibe.  Exquisite bartending, beautiful people and fantastic company added up to one memorable night in Helsinki.

The next day we took a ferry to Suomenlinna Island, a quaint old military fort with a charming village.  On the boat we met a guy named David from Seattle who was in Helsinki briefly on business. He was traveling alone and very nice so we invited him to come look around with us. Though the ferry was only 15 minutes from Helsinki, this island was different than anything I’ve seen on the mainland.  Stone barriers, thick-walled fortresses and cannons lined the rocky cliffs but the interior of the island was cozy with wood houses, a church and beautiful old trees.  We skipped the museums and explored on foot before the clouds moved in and it started raining.

We ate some lunch in Helsinki before Valerie and I had to pack up and get ready for our trip to Stockholm. Dad came with us to our ship terminal and we said goodbye for another couple months. We felt so fortunate that my Dad had business in Finland that lined up so perfectly with my break from school.  Finland is not the most popular tourist destination, especially where I’m going to school (kind of a trek out in the boonies).  Spending time with my Dad was a perfect-mid trip piece of home to carry me through my last couple months abroad. I am very thankful that I was able to share my study abroad experience with him and have a fun weekend traveling; we had a very special visit. He even brought me a couple pictures of my snake, Khan, who is getting bigger and turning two this month.  I'm a sad Mom without him but I'm glad he is in good hands. Even my sisters are helping care for him a little! 


Though I'm used to spending months away from home at college, being in such a different, far away place can make me feel a little isolated, but it's amazing how technology has revolutionized being far from home. I love being able to stay in contact with friends and family, telling about my adventures and hearing about what they're up to in California.  Knowing my ever-creative Mom is making halloween crafts with my cousins and decorating her house makes me miss being home but being able to talk with her over Skype helps me stay connected. Even with our sweet dog, Coco! Yesterday I received a Halloween care package from my boyfriend's Mom; a hilariously heartwarming gesture.  

Feeling love and support from around the world is truly incredible.  I'm grateful for everyone back home, my friends abroad (new and old), and this amazing opportunity to experience so many new things. 

Campus!

Ilamjoki
Alvar Alto Library reflecting his church










City Hall

Liberty or Death Bar


Boat ride to Suomenlinna Island



Grassy bunkers









Me, David and Val
Saying bye to Dad

Khan showing off for Khloe the cat
Mom's "Spooky Tree" - made from a paper bag with a rock in it!
Halloween care package!



1 comment:

  1. Such a great Dad, you are so lucky :) Thanks Dad.

    ReplyDelete