Saturday, October 6, 2012

Lifestyle of the Finnish farmer and their families


Living with the Martillas exposed me to a new kind of lifestyle; the Finnish farming family. All farms have their differences but after discussing with the other students about their farm experiences we all agreed there are certain things that are similar between them. 

This summer and autumn have been unusually rainy in Finland, causing problems with the harvest and throwing a wrench in the annual flow of work.  When the weather isn’t too wet the fathers and husbands work very long days collecting this year’s yield, often working until midnight harvesting. They might return home for meals or for a few hours of sleep before starting very early again the next day.  I don’t know how they manage to continue working so hard on such little rest! I imagine this is a habit formed over decades of farming. 

Mothers and children also have many responsibilities on the property. Children have school to keep up with as well as any chores that they have at home or on the farm on top of their hobbies. Mothers are responsible for making sure the kids get to school, to and from their rehearsals or practices, do their homework, go to sleep and wake up in the morning. They work maintain the cattle while husbands tend to the fields, which seems almost as exhausting and demanding as raising children. On top of all this they make sure everyone is fed, the laundry gets done, the house is clean and the husbands are cared for. 

Living at work and working where you live is a trying routine. The farm runs 24/7 and taking a vacation requires a high level of planning and trust in the people you leave the farm in the hands of.  Every season carries a different set of tasks at the Martilla farm. The fall is for harvesting and plowing the fields before the wet and cold weather set in. The winter is for forest work clearing crowded, overgrown areas and relaxing when possible. Springtime is for planting, cultivating and fertilizing the grasses.  Summer is the time for crop upkeep and producing silage (cow feed) to get through the snowy, dark winter. Summer is a popular time for farmers to take breaks as well but they can’t last too long or duties will pile up. On top of all this, the animals need constant attention all year around. 

Finnish people value their work to a very unique standard.  I spent a couple hours on a tractor with Pekka, a worker who helps with the harvest and builds all kinds of structures around town. Pekka has a farm of his own, he co-owned a prominent dairy product company, Juustoportti (which Martilla dairy produces milk for), and is a gifted architect. Though he does not need to continue working to support himself, he continues because he wants to.  This was enlightening to hear and I commented that perhaps it’s rewarding enough to finish a job and feel satisfaction with end product; a barn or cottage or a respectable crop yield that he could be proud of. The idea did not seem to cross his mind, he simply replied that at the end of a project you must start a new one.  Pekka says he also works to stay sharp and healthy. This seems very different to me than the American Dream today; hit it big, work hard and fast for a lot of money, then retire to enjoy carefree life. The Finns work very hard but at a different pace; they take coffee breaks between their labors (when time allows) and pay attention to detail, aiming to perfect their craft but also enjoy it.  I admire this and hope that when I have a career of my own, I would prefer to continue working because I want to instead of stopping as soon as I have the financial means to carry out my life.

Pekka, like most Finns, was shy to use his English though it was quite good. He spent time working on a farm in South Dakota when he was young and it shows in his language skills. Pekka asked what kind of crops and animals I raised at home and I told him I didn’t live on a farm.  It took some explaining before he realized I was not a farmer. I could tell he understood when he looked at me like I had just beamed down from space. He must think Californians do nothing all their lives.  It’s moments like this that make me really happy I came to Finland.  Meeting new people, experiencing an entirely different way of life and sharing things about my home gives me a very new perspective on the world as well as the people in it.  Many people take for granted how hard farmers work to produce the food you eat, the clothes on your back, the milk in your glass and the roof over your head. Understanding the importance of their work and the pride they take in it is something that can’t be accurately taught or told.  My farm experience has given me so much respect for the farmers of the world and their families. It also makes me think harder about where the products I buy came from and the hands that made them.




Plowing with Pekka


Matti fertilizing the fields

No comments:

Post a Comment